Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Class begins again

It's back to my metals class for the spring semester. I'm working on a couple of small projects while I work out the ideas for a bigger more complex one. One that will involve the torch, which I am not fond of!  But I imagine I will be less fearful of it by the time I'm finished with it.

These are pieces I cut out with my jewelers saw using sheet copper after I drew my design. In order to dap the pieces or dome them and shape them I first annealed the metal with the torch to make the metal softer and more pliable.


The heat from the torch makes the metal turn colors.

This will be the orientation of the pieces when it's finished.

Today will be my first attempt at enameling. For those of you who don't know what enameling is - it is a technique done by fusing powdered glass to a substrate by firing or in this case using a torch. The powder melts, flows, and then hardens to a smooth, durable vitreous coating on, in this case, metal.

Now to decide what colors . . . . hmmm?

5 comments:

Katherine said...

Enjoying your class vicariously.
I never liked the torch much myself, but I do like my little butane one.

Happy creating to you.

Honey from the Bee said...

Love where you're going... have fun!

Kim Stevens said...

Well, I am happy to report that the torch and I got along quite fine today. I have discovered that I love enameling on copper!

Diane said...

Oh, I would like to see your finished piece =) Love the project Kim!

Ellen said...

This is really neat. I like how we can see the parts before assembly. Can't wait to see the enameled piece!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...