Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Festival of Lights . . .



I had been wanting to go to the festival of lights since Thanksgiving, but
it just seemed that there was always something going on. Well, we finally made it this past weekend,
us and about a million other people too!! ; )

And it was free . . . 

All you had to do was park in a parking lot, board a school bus, and they drove you there.
Doesn't get any better than that.

I did take my tripod, but really was only able to use it for several shots, as there were just too many
people. So, I improvised and played and had some fun!

It might have been more like a cattle drive! This was one of the many tunnels of lights we walked through.



A different view, minus all the people  . . . not sure how I got so lucky with that!



I did use my tripod for this one . . . can you see the silhouettes of all the people? I just loved the branchy reflections in the water on this one, something else I have been a bit obsessed with lately.



And another silhouette on the left....


This castle seemed to be quite the highlight, and although there was no way I was going to get them (my kids) to stand inside the castle, I managed to get just this one of them standing and looking on as a silhouette.



 Another reflection, with more silhouetted people.


Then I decided to have a little fun, in manual focus, zooming in, and out with my camera as I clicked.
The fist one is just bokeh love, and the ones below it were done in manual focus creating bokeh first and then zooming either in or out while taking the photo.


And when I got home, I painted with the light from my tree with a slow shutter speed.







On this one I made a circle and then tried to fill it in, not too bad for painting blindly. 


I have been doing a little experimenting with painting with my lens during the day as well. It sure takes some
practice to make it look intentional and not accidental as there is a fine line between purposeful blur and I had no idea what I was doing. Between how fast and how much movement I can put into it to get the look I want. I'm linking in with Kat over at Kat Eye Studio and her December Exploring With a 
Camera: The Lights of Night...come on over and join us, there's still time.

See ya there -
Love, Kim
XO




21 comments:

Jeanne said...

Love these shots Kim and looks as if you caught the purposeful look very well, and that you had alot of fun while you were doing it!

Anonymous said...

How awesome! Would love to walk through a tunnel of lights! Just gorgeous!

Sherri B. said...

These are magical! Wow, what a lovely set of photos. Thank you for sharing, Kim!

Anonymous said...

What a great Boxing Day gift. I'm loving your captures of the magical lights and I absolutely adore your light painting. Those last ones are brilliant!

gina said...

Wow -- what amazing shots, Kim! Your tunnels of light are incredible! I love your experimenting with the manual focus -- pure whimsy!

SKCPhotos said...

The tunnel shots are fabulous. I like your use of slow shutter speed AND blur to great effect in the others.

Kat Sloma said...

Kim, these are great! It's so much fun to see what you've been doing with the light painting. I love how that tree one turned out. I am going to have to try that myself! And the manual focus + zoom. Great add. Wonderful shots at the festival of lights. I love the silhouettes. It's fun in crowds to notice there is an ebb and flow of people, and if you hit the right moment you can have that empty shot you were waiting for. Thanks so much for linking in to Exploring with a Camera. You got some great lights of night!

Barbara Lewis said...

Wow!

Unknown said...

This would certainly be something to witness...

Honey from the Bee said...

So cool! I love the shots of the tunnel. Makes me want to create one in our patio next year. Very very cool!

Kathryn Dyche said...

So in love with these images Kim I can't even tell you. I especially love that first one. Hope you and your family had an amazing Christmas.

Cathy H. said...

What a wonderful show of lights!! I love the tunnels and the silhouettes!! Beautiful light drawings, too!!

Brenda said...

Simply gorgeous! You have succeeded so well at capturing the magic of holiday lights. The silhouetted figures against the lights is so beautiful and unusual. And your light painting - WOW!

Deborah Tisch said...

You have some fabulous images here! I like how you have experimented and painted with light, in addition to getting some great shots at that festival.

Carol said...

Absolutely wonderful, Kim! Stunning, in fact. Love them!

Silvina Soave said...

Fotografías espectaculares, un trabajo excelente! Abrazos.

Comfypjs said...

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous!

Deanna said...

How fun...I love playing with lights like this..yours are just stunning. You need to give me a lesson.

Marcie said...

These are absolutely stunning!! It's been awhile since I've been here - :-(! Wishing you and yours all the best for the up and coming new year!!

Andee said...

That is so cool!

Vicki Boster said...

Hi Kim-- all my love and best wishes to you as we enter this New Year--
Xoxo
Vicki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...